I'm looking for a job too!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a job too!

Psychiatrist. Boarded. Inpatient and consult-liaison- adults and gero patients. Full- or part-time. Within the range of available home delivery for the NY Times, searcheable zip code here http://homedelivery.nytimes.com/HDS/...ediaCode=W11FZ

Originally posted by Anon_3b215c
    Within the range of available home delivery for the NY Times,
    LOL!

I hear ya...

I get it in gas stations here, is that good enough?

What happenned to your job, if I may ask?

Looking for Locum? Highly recommended!
    who by fire.

Comment

We get several requests for job postings from recruiters, maybe we should post their ads in the classified forum
      Mel
      There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Bios, I have worked strictly as a locums for a fairly long time, while putting my daughter through college. She is almost done, and now I am looking for an employee-with-benefits-type job. I was putting off any "permanent" relocations until now, but as of this coming summer I will be more inclined to relocate. I have no stamina/interest in attempting to build a solo private practice (my area is not really conducive to this anyway, plus I mostly want to continue doing C/L and inpatient work), hence I would be OK now for becoming an employee of either a group or a hospital, outside of my hometown. Moreover my hometown's premier tertiary care hospital has closed their psych. unit more than 3-4 years ago, and they do not plan to re-open it, as I had been originally hoping, since they are well aware that Psych. is a $-loser for them in this area, so they farmed-out Psych. inpt. services to a couple of other "smaller" community hospitals nearby, where I would not want to become an employee, due to mostly to quality of care concerns. Most of my "original" colleagues have long since relocated out of state. I was one of the last "holdouts" mostly because I didn't want to sell my house while my daughter was still in school. So I ended up doing locums for a long time. I had my fun with locums, and it worked well for me until now. Now I need to start thinking about the "retirement" plan, and I will be also willing to relocate for it.

Mel, re. recruiters...I know lots of them, and they probably know me as well...as one of the "very picky doctors"...either due to my "location" criteria, but also mostly due to my stubbornly high expectations re. "quality of care" criteria, which IMHO are quite important for inpt./C-L work, and also from a potential position as an "employed" physician. I have accumulated lots of "on-the-job" ad-hoc administrative experience as well, however I doubt that any entity would consider my profile as being a run-of-the-mill one for a strictly administrative Medical Director position, or with any potential administrative tasks > clinical tasks. (I also still look "younger than my age", which is great for interpersonal relationships, but not too favorable, it seems, for positions of implied authority! ). I think I want to stick with clinical work for quite a while yet.

Comment

Good luck & keep us posted
          Mel
          There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Update: the more I look, the more I think that I will be arriving soon to a decision to take instead a long term locums assignment in either Australia or New Zealand! I'm reading Slipping Into Paradise...

Comment

Originally posted by Anon_3b215c
              Update: the more I look, the more I think that I will be arriving soon to a decision to take instead a long term locums assignment in either Australia or New Zealand! I'm reading Slipping Into Paradise...

I think they don't pay much by US standards.
              who by fire.

Comment

they pay zip. 75 to a 100 dollars(us) per day when i was there 5 years ago. wonderful, grateful people. odd dieases, though. i've never seen a case of glandular fever, since i was there.

Comment

That low? How was the housing?

Comment

Update: OK...I won't be able to afford NZ yet. I haven't found a "real" employed job that would either give me a better work space than the one Biois is currently struggling with, or pay me enough for the amount of work required (the typical "offer" ACROSS THE COUNTRY is 1 1/2 work load for 1 pay ratio, with a benefit schedule that would theoretically make sense only if you are able to survive in that job for OVER 10-15 years or so...which seems somewhat dubious, at least at first sight...)

I am wondering now...how do the younger generation, the recent graduates from the past 2-3 years or or so...see their "career" from their vantage point? I haven't actually MET anyone who has recently graduated from anywhere. Where are all those people and what are they doing? Anyone here to give us some insight re. the "early career" issues faced by those folks?

I am getting curioser and curioser at this point in time. Sounds that I'll just have to stick with the part-time private practice and indep. contract work for a couple more years.

I also do not want to clog this board with a "serious" but possibly irrelevant topic (that may not really be of interest to the majority of the current participants.)

Please, give me a signal to that effect, if I become too overbearing or redundant. (To tell you the truth, I myself would much rather spend time in the "Lounge" or "clinical topics"...).

Comment

Why do people stay on the East and Left Coasts where compensation sucks and the air is polluted when Alaska is begging for physicians of every specialty? We have world-class skiing, hunting, fishing, and mountain climbing/hiking. We have clean air and respectable incomes. You guys are nuts!
                      "Don't rush me, sonny...You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!"
                      Billy Crystal as "Miracle Max" in The Princess Bride

Comment

I'd be up there faster than you can spell 'Kenai' were it not for a family oriented spouse. Not going there is or living in the mountains is breaking a primise I made to myself long ago. That is another story though.

She might give in, if I agreed to have more children. With that as the barganing chip, got info on shrinks? (She is a pediatrician who likes hospitalist work).

Dreaming of snow to slop in.
                        Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

Comment

Originally posted by hdblackburn
                          I'd be up there faster than you can spell 'Kenai' were it not for a family oriented spouse. Not going there is or living in the mountains is breaking a primise I made to myself long ago. That is another story though.

She might give in, if I agreed to have more children. With that as the barganing chip, got info on shrinks? (She is a pediatrician who likes hospitalist work).

Dreaming of snow to slop in.
                          I don't know a lot about jobs for psychiatrists, but I know a psychiatrist who does almost exclusively inpatient work here in Anchorage. I could ask her to e-mail you. You can send me an e-mail at kelton@pol.net and I'll forward it to her. I do know that the Alaska Native Medical Center (where I work) is chronically short of psychiatrists, but I don't know if the work conditions are problematic, or if it's just a general shortage of docs.

My wife is a pediatrician, but she does outpatient. It's a pretty safe bet that an inpatient pediatrician should have no trouble finding work in Anchorage. Probably in some other places as well, but Anchorage is the only city of significant size in Alaska (and has the best lifestyle, in my opinion).

When you say your wife is "family oriented" do you mean that she has family where you live, or that she wants an environment that is good for children?

Comment

Ah! She wants community. Stable relationships over time.

You don't sound like a POL doc. In fact, you sound nice! I sould have guessed not all were bad apples.
                            Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

Comment

Originally posted by hdblackburn
                              Ah! She wants community. Stable relationships over time.

You don't sound like a POL doc. In fact, you sound nice! I sould have guessed not all were bad apples.
                              Anchorage is a family friendly city. A high proportion of the population are young couples with children. Did I mention that there is no state income tax and no sales tax?

I was a POL doc almost from the inception. I'm only an a**h*** part of the time. You caught me on a good day.

Comment

Working...
                              X