No announcement yet.

dragon dictate medical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not good with experimentation, I usually end up buying something and even if it's not perfect I just kind of keep it, because I get too busy to take it back. Weird that I spend so much time trying to figure out what to get.

Comment

This is a great little thread. It dovetails well with some of my questions posted elsewhere about EMR.

Our hospital is looking into moving to EMR, but that transition is going to be a long process. Medical records would like to to move to voice recognition software to try to speed up our current documentation. At the present time, all admission dictations and discharge summaries are dictated by telephone into a basic system operated by Dictaphone. The reports are then typed up by transcription in draft form, reviewed and corrected, then the final is submitted for signature.

Progress notes are "online" -- which means there is a Foxpro GUI that brings up a Word template ... and all disciplines (psychiatric staff, nurses, aides) type notes for each patient encounter. It is very cumbersome and time consuming -- find a computer that isn't in use, log in, and type everything by hand.

At home I've experimented with the standard version of DNS and I've had good results with it, including teaching it new medical words. But it would be a pain to try to teach it an entire medical vocabulary!

Does anyone have experience with the voice recognition software available through Dictaphone? If so, how user-friendly is the system? What are it's pros and cons? It would be great to hear from anyone who has experience with both the medical version of DNS and the Dictaphone voice recognition software.
      -- Aurora

Comment

i think there'e a person on the other end of our dictaphone thing at the hospital.

Comment

The need to ignore the patient, nurse, office staff, etc., is a limitation of voice recognition, audio transcription, and pretty much anything else except hand written notes, as I can occasionally scribble and talk. I'm not sure how the concept of oral dictation fits into the concept of a high volume practice.
          CUT2CURE. We heal with steel! It can't hurt you if it's in a bottle...and the Rule of the Artery is Supreme

Comment

I have found using templates that cover most of my routine CC and F/U pts gets the biggest part of my notes done in the room with the pt. A mouse is just as fast as handwriting to capture the " essence" of the history. The important treatment plans including Rx's, diagnostic tests, and FU time are done. Later I can "flesh out" the note with Dragon and buff the H&P if it didn't already fit the template. At the end of the day, I'm done... no take home charts, no dictations to sign, no transcriptionist bills!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X