MEDITECH EHR: reactions wanted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEDITECH EHR: reactions wanted

Greetings to all. I am a relative newcomer to this forum, a dabbler at programming (yes, even tried EMRs like everyone else) from an user point of view, a family doc, a user of a few EMRs in the past (sorry, no EHRs, that was all before they changed the nomenclature), and a recent reviewer of potential EHRs for our 70+ provider group in Seattle. I have delved further and further into the internet, and boy there are lots of data on EHRs. I like to stick to physicina forums though. I think exchanging ideas is the best way. Like many have said on this forum, no need to repeat the same mistakes. Too bad the TEPR (not that I know what that is) review is more than a year old, I would like to see a more current list. Other hints form members have also been most helpful.

I have posted this on our AAFP EMR forum before, but like to hear more. We are likely going toward purchasing MEDITECH / LSS EHR because:

1) it's the easiest path from the current MEDITECH patient demographic and billing modules we already use,

2) the stories about interfacing of third (second?) party EHR to MEDITECH are scary in cost and effort and potential confusion if the conduit breaks,

3) the hospital will be most likely to pay for it (our group is a subsidiary of the hospital).

All things being equal (cost, functionality, etc), we should go with MEDITECH EHR. Currently I have no real idea of how functional their EHR is. There is no live trial available. Have to go site visiting soon. Also, there is great negative sentiment about MEDITECH in the community, but I have few specifics.

Can this forum shed any light on the topic? Experience with MEDITECH?

Thanks.

Jack

p.s. Chrisobmd: You mentioned a site visit to a clinic using MEDITEHC. Can you tell me more? I tried to send you an email or pm but the function is disabled on this board?!
    To boldly go.

One of the hospitals that I go to still uses the Meditech DOS version EHR, and it is stable and works well. They at one point tried the Windows version, but it was really BAD. All the nurses complained about their inability to put in data and it got to the point that the hospital discarded it. This was about 2 years ago, so if there is a new version, they may have improved things.

Regards,
    Al

Comment

Originally posted by jackchoi

p.s. Chrisobmd: You mentioned a site visit to a clinic using MEDITEHC. Can you tell me more? I tried to send you an email or pm but the function is disabled on this board?!
      Hi Jack, and welcome!

Yes, our rural hospital here in SE MO purchased Meditech a few years ago. We have it up in stages. There is the lab and nursing interface running now-up about a year. We are readying the EHR for docs-but don't really expect it to go totally live till next year.

We went to Bemidji, Minn last month, where they've been beta-testing Meditech for several years now. As I understand it, the main office for Meditech is in Minneapolis. The docs-a family practise clinic-in Bemidji are sort of using it. It's in transition, as they still have paper charts and there's a lot of pen and ink/dictation processes still being used.

But, it's interesting. They work with wireless tablets that have both point and click data entry capability as well as handwriting recognition for free text. You can either work from templates or give it up entirely and free text completely. If you work with templates, there still is that incredible tendency for illogical entries and unweildy charts.

From my standpoint, initially getting data in-meds, allergies, demographics is going to be a big slowdown point if your nurse/assistant just doesn't get along with computers. From the doc's standpoint, we'll each need to figure out how we want to construct our notes. I just hate dictating, but others love it. (There is the capacity for voice-recognition, but that's far from going live.)

Once the visit is completed, you do have the capability to order scripts/lab tests right from the tablet, which is pretty cool. Then, of course, it can be sent directly to billing. It seems pretty powerful, tho' still not completely functional.

Well, there's probably more, but I gotta run.

Chris
      I recommend biting off more then you can chew to anyone
      I certainly do
      I recommend sticking your foot in your mouth at any time
      Feel free

Alanis Morisette

Comment

A neighbor at my vacation home in Maine says his family got lucky with the DOS Meditech, because there was nothing else available. He did not seem hopeful about the future of that company. They were aready made fantastically rich off of Dos meditech, why work?

I don't see where any of the emr/ehrs have done much better than Meditech, except better GUI.

EMR is a good idea still. When it can prompt me for an event/outcome I forgot to chart on, I'll buy.
        Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

Comment

Well, that's more positive than I have heard in a while. Chris, thanks for the info. Two questions; Are you using it in an outpatient setting, and do you think the MN FP docs would mine if you give me their contact info? We are primarily primary care ( ) and outpatient, although the hospital may do an inpatient piece later.

Jack
          To boldly go.

Comment

They were using it in primarily outpatient settings. When I go to the office tomorrow, I'll get the contact name in MN. I'm sure they wouldn't mind talking to you. They seemed very accessible.

Come to think of it, they didn't show us any part of how it worked in the hospital.
            I certainly do
            Feel free

Alanis Morisette

Comment

Meditech for office use is a really bad idea. Very nonintuitive. Very slow. LSS written as an after thought. Updates are a bandaide on a hemorrhage. Look for answers...not what you want to hear.

Comment

In addition to North Country in Bemidji, several Mayo Health System sites are attempting installs of the LSS EAR (electronic ambulatory record). I visited two sites, Austin and Albert Lea, neither of which have all the docs on board despite several years of effort. To my knowledge, there are no "successful" MEDITECH/LSS installs anywhere in the US, depending upon how you define "successful", of course. In observing some physicians at Austin using the tool, it was apparant to me that it was cumbersome - too many mouse clicks to accomplish relatively simple tasks. The interface is far from attractive, but that shouldn't be determining factor if the software worked well. MEDITECH's HIS (hospital information sytem) is a widely installed, stable, respected and nice piece of software. Their partnership with Lake Superior Software (LSS) to add ambulatory record functionality to their 'suite' is, in my opinion, awful. In fact, I went so far as to resign from Mayo Health Systems (effective at the end of this year) over their decision to pursue MEDITECH/LSS. The clinic I am a part of already operates on such a fine margin that the catastrophe I believe certain to befall us should we continue to pursue the MEDITECH/LSS EAR would be financially devastaing - you see, we're paid straight production and I saw a HUGE drop in productivity in Austin and Albert Lea. Further, the product does no contain decision support tools, E&M coding module, or several other EMR features I believe essential. If you send me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you a copy of a paper I wrote to Mayo mgmt regarding the MEDITECH/LSS EAR software.

Comment

Reaction to Reactions

Thank you all for your replies so far. I have not heard many positive answers so far, but am trying to keep an open mind, for the sake of getting along with the hospital system. However, if the LSS solution is not tenable, it would of course be valuable to present to the power to be what the deficiencies are. To that end, I would be very interested in Dr. Jeffery's letter. Please send a copy to tsangchoi at yahoo dot com. Thank you.

Jack
                  To boldly go.

Comment

yes, ksj, I'd be very interested in your experience. Please keep in mind that I am not a techie; too much jargon quickly gets beyond me. I try to operate in the real hear and 'whatever'.

My email is 'cernik@sbcglobal.net'.
                    I certainly do
                    Feel free

Alanis Morisette

Comment

Working...
                    X