Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• companion EMR

Hi everyone,

the Community Health Center I work for is looking to implement an EMR.

One of the products they are looking at (leaning toward I think) is Companion EMR. They are currently using this company's practice management software, so the advertised easy integration seems to be attractive to them.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks,

Sam
    visit drsamonline for more of my scinitilating pontifications...

...or you could just visit this bargain wine review site and learn how to drink your sorrows away on the cheap!

Companion EMR

Companion had some fundamental design shortfalls when I last thoroughly evaluated it in May of 2004 as part of a survey of major EHR vendors' products. Our survey was to evaluate EHRs' abilities to support the business requirements of a valid legal record according to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. (Those are the rules under which business records are exempted from hearsay rules and can be used as legal records as long as they meet certain stipulations.)

The one major shortfall at that time may have been fixed by now. When I checked with Companion's representative in early 2005 I was told it was on a short list of near-term fixes. That shortfall was that if a medical record was amended, the system only recorded the date, time, and user executing the amendment but it did not preserve the prior version of the record. In other words, a simple spelling change can look no different than a wholesale re-writing of that part of an encounter note. This would violate a fundamental requirement of legal records, as well as a fundamental rule for medical records-that no medical record be rendered inaccessible or otherwise obliterated.

Medical records, whether paper or electronic, that violate basic rules can be impeached as evidence in court or their validity challenged for use in business, such as to support claims billing.

My associate and I have written and published a number of essays about fundamental rules for medical records as they apply to EHRs which, amazingly enough, are often not designed to support medical records or business records requirements. If you would like additional information, you can contact me at rdgelzer@docintegrity.com Unfortunately, Companion, as of 2005, was not unique in its shortfalls in this particular area.

Reed D. Gelzer, MD, MPH, CHCC
    Advocates for Documentation Integrity and Compliance
    and also
    subcontractor to US Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery Office of Data Quality

Comment

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
      visit drsamonline for more of my scinitilating pontifications...

...or you could just visit this bargain wine review site and learn how to drink your sorrows away on the cheap!

Comment

Working...
      X