No announcement yet.

EHR to become Mandatory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make some very good points Al, I had underestimated the power of the internet
    Bigdoc

Comment

Banner rammed EMR down everyone's throats out here. The system is cumbersome and redundent. A simple post partum visit takes about five minutes to enter the system, document, and leave. That's if you understand the system. My first note took 30 minutes, and that was after 7 hours of training. If the nurse has not entered her info, I have to do it for her, and then go back later when the computer flashes that the nurse entered labs that I did not read (forget that it is in my notes). For some reason, I still have to sign off separatelly for scripts for motrin- I guess that the system assumes all my patients are pregnant.

The whole idea is to have EMR that can be transferred with the patient, yet we can't do that because of HIPAA.

OTOH, the new services that allow you to log in your medical records that can be accessed around the world with your password show a lot of promise, and I wish I had the cash to have started it.
      HOT

Comment

Apgar, where do you practice?

BTW, tonight I followed up the progress of Assemblyman Conaway's bill making CCHIT certified EMRs mandatory in NJ. We managed to get out a large campaign against it all over the 'net demonstrating how Conaway was essentially wined and dined and lobbied by various vendors, including their society, HIMSS (I was able to pull out his financial disclosure forms). I guess this embarrassed him enough so that even though his bill got through committee by unanymous vote, it never got voted on by their state legislature. Here are the latest particulars:

Conaway, Herb, Jr. as Primary Sponsor
        Chivukula, Upendra J. as Primary Sponsor
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        5/11/2009 Introduced, Referred to Assembly Health and Senior Services Committee
        6/4/2009 Reported out of Assembly Comm. with Amendments, 2nd Reading

Introduced - 7 pages PDF Format HTML Format
        Statement - AHE 6/4/09 - 3 pages PDF Format HTML Format
        Reprint - 6 pages PDF Format HTML Format

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Committee Voting:
        AHE 6/4/2009 - r/Aca - Yes {11} No {0} Not Voting {0} Abstains {0} - Roll Call

URL: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bills/BillView.asp, look for bill # 3934.

Al

Comment

Good job Al, which EHR vendor was behhind this in NJ?
          Bigdoc

Comment

Apgar, who is the company providing your EMR for you hospitals?

Comment

According to his 2007 financial disclosures, he received lobbying money from the State Alliance for eHelp and HIMSS. He also received a lot of HIMSS promotion (see my MDNG article).

If that bill would have passed, I wonder how that could have been fair and legal? Could he have been accused of quid-pro-quo activity? They would end up treating non-CCHIT certified EMRs like a drug crime...

Even HIMSS distanced itself from that bill. URL of his financial disclosure document: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ethics/...nawayH2007.pdf

Al

Comment

Originally posted by alborg View Post
                According to his 2007 financial disclosures, he received lobbying money from the State Alliance for eHelp and HIMSS. He also received a lot of HIMSS promotion (see my MDNG article).

If that bill would have passed, I wonder how that could have been fair and legal? Could he have been accused of quid-pro-quo activity? They would end up treating non-CCHIT certified EMRs like a drug crime...

Even HIMSS distanced itself from that bill. URL of his financial disclosure document: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ethics/...nawayH2007.pdf

Al
                'scary to think he almost got away with it
                Bigdoc

Comment

Using some thing like GoToAssist will one of you set up a single user solution so I can migrate towards EHR? If not who can I turn to? I just want to use it, not build it.

I use macs, pcs, androids and think the Atari is still around.
                  Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim2 View Post
                    Using some thing like GoToAssist will one of you set up a single user solution so I can migrate towards EHR? If not who can I turn to? I just want to use it, not build it.

I use macs, pcs, androids and think the Atari is still around.
                    Try http://www.practicefusion.com/
                    Im no longer office based so not had a chance to test in real world.
                    Bigdoc

Comment

Working...
                    X