My Bestbuy HORROR STORY....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bestbuy HORROR STORY....

Ok, so about mid Jan. my laptop died on me at the end of a long day. So I thought no problem, after all I do have the special "extended 3-year warranty' I shot over to the BESTBUY and dropped it off for servicing in what I thought was a quick and impressively efficient process.

weeks went by and I slowly suffered the withdrawl from my connection to the world and my mobile office.
    more weeks went by. more weeks went by.
    whenever I would enquire I would get vague promises from folks that could just as easily be working at McDonalds. (nothing against McDonalds -you know who you are)

finally after almost two months my laptop arrived at my office and I was overjoyed! -that is until I realized that they had inexplicedly removed my combo DVD-CDRW drive, battery, and power cord!

So it was back to BESTBUY to rectify this small problem. Another power cord and CD drive were sent in a couple of weeks. the power cord was fine but the CD/DVD was for another system and wouldnt even fit. My poor laptop suffered an hour of these hoodlums trying to force that drive into it...

I just recieved the battery, and I'm being assured that the cd drive will be here in two weeks or so...

I'm not sure what to think of this... I mean they did repair it but I dont think Ill ever get one of those extended plans again.

Consumer reports only recommends them for laptops (mainly the screen, which can break).

I got talked into buying one of those at CompUSA. "No hassel exchange if its broke" they told me. When I had to use it, it turned into a huge pain.
    The FDA has not evaluated my safety or efficacy...

Comment

Extended warranties are highly profitable for these retailers. Why do you think they bug you about it at every sale? The sales people get big commissions from the sale of these warranties. With this kind of perishable hardware, it is probably better to self-insure and save yourself the hassle of trying to force someone to provide you service that they promised to do a long time ago. In my opinion, it is better to have the cash and leave yourself the options.

Comment

After this experience Im inclined to agree. I found out that usually they dont really cover broken screens and stuff like that. If you look on the warranties itll say not covered against any kind of physical damage or liquid spills etc.

Comment

I always tell the salesperson that if they try to sell me the extended warranty I will end the sale right there and then.... with no explanation and without comment. I will walk out of the store, and actually have.

Comment

Yea, my wife always says something like: "you mean you dont back the quality of this enough as it is?" I just got suckered because it was such a big purchase.

Comment

Out of curiosity, could anyone recommend any computer repair shops/chains in the NYC area (Westchester or Manhattan)? I don't have any warranties, I just probably need to have someone look at an older laptop that "died" a while ago (hard drive something I/O error when I try to power it up), so that I can recover a couple of my old non-backed up files from it, or at least make sure they get disposed of properly. I'm sort of leery of those Best Buy/Comp USA major outfits. Was looking for some smaller "independent" computer repair chains. I never had to ask anyone for any type of service until now, so I have no clue where to go.

Comment

I don't know whether www.janr.com repair computers, they are a reputable electronics store in NYC, try calling them to find out, OTOH, if the laptop is >4years old, it is probably cheaper to replace than repair
                Bigdoc

Comment

What kind of files? If you simply need to recover files from a hard drive if the drive itself is not corrupted, you might be able to ddo it yourself, what error message do you get when you power it? What OS is it running?
                  There are only 10 types of people in the world; Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Comment

drum roll... hope the answer isnt Mac...

Comment

I haven't crawled around in many laptops, but if its got an IDE cable, pluck it forth and stick it on a PC, see if you can see the files you need. I think they also sell external drive enclosures for HD so you could use that and connect by USB/Firewire.

Comment

the drives have smaller connectors... I've unfortunately been getting some experience in this dept. At first it was scarey but now Im getting comfortable with my laptop guts out everywhere on my desk. The patients seem impressed too. the screws are much smaller so use some good forceps from any surgical set. Just make sure you are grounded...

Another thing, beware of liquids.

Comment

It's a HP laptop, more than 5 yrs. old. I get "I/O disk error" when I turn it on. Happenned overnight. (Didn't drop it or anything like that.)

Comment

Can you see the device in the bios startup screen? Is it recognized in the bios?

Comment

I'm not sure from your last post whether the laptop is on the fritz or just the harddrive. If the harddrive is alive you might be able to put it in a usb external harddrive enclosure like this one:
                              http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...054&CatId=1204

Comment

Working...
                              X