No announcement yet.

My Bestbuy HORROR STORY....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anon, what messages do you get before the I/O error when you turn it on?
    Bigdoc

Comment

nothing. black on black. then the message in white on black.

Comment

I don't think i get any other messages. I can't remember if I do get the set up/boot prompts or not. I'll check though later. I don't have it with me here right now.

Comment

Guys:

I love Tigerdirect, but for hard drive enclosures, go to eBay (yeah, I know that I'm an eBay fanatic, but read on...). I just finished purchasing 2 of these enclosures from a seller with a rating of over 13000... for $21.96 each ("Buy it now" http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2791220625). The more you purchase from this guy in one sitting, the less he knocks off the shipping. Other deals can be had s.a. this hard drive enclosure that is going to sell off in an hour for under $9 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...477740873&rd=1). The seller there has slightly under 4000 positive feedbacks. Don't spend more than $25 on these things!

Now, that said, you don't even have to purchase the enclosure; just do an ebay search for "laptop drive adapter" and get a special adapter that you can use to attach your laptop drive onto your desktop cable for less than $9 (example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...477926162&rd=1).

Now, if your laptop hard drive is shot, you can attempt to terminally awaken it for a few seconds by any one of a number of tricks, 2 of which I recall:

1) lightly tap it on its side, then try booting her up
          2) freeze it- occasionally it'll work frozen (but once it thaws out... )

Have fun!

Regards,
          Al

Regards,
          Al

Comment

Want laptop service buy IBM

http://www.bestbuysux.org/index1.html read up about the warranty sales as described it all about profit.
            I use IBM laptops and have done for years . I just had client buy a P4 dvd cdr burner xp pro 256 meg ram thinkpad $1450 including 3 year they come to you and fix it part and labor.
            Can't beat it and they have just the best phone support..

oz

Comment

Originally posted by Anon_3b215c
              I don't think i get any other messages. I can't remember if I do get the set up/boot prompts or not. I'll check though later. I don't have it with me here right now.
              What happended 3B215c?

BTW, I know you are fond of your name but I always feel like I am addressing a convict. I think we shall call you Pat.

Comment

>>> I am addressing a convict

Maybe he's one of them prison physicians maybe? (G)

Al

Comment

Better than BestBuy..

I have had good luck with Googlegear (now its ZipZoomFly). Also NewEgg.com and the Accademic superstore. For the last --You need some affiliation to a school of something which is usually not a problem.

The prices are good -they seem reputable and no shipping, no tax!!!

For the Google one, you need a little expertise (and guts). Hard drives come BARE!!!!
                  I have learned in taking apart a laptop --use 'dixie' cups (many) to keep the parts sorted! Walk away if you get frustrated! Use a work area that will be untouched by wife, kids, housekeepers, etc. Also..There are Que books from Scott Mueller that are helpful?

I am experienced --which means--I can crash ANY version of Windows you give me!!!

(I can't stand dealing with either Bestbuy or CompUsa!!)

Comment

>>>> For the Google one, you need a little expertise (and guts). Hard drives come BARE!!!! I have learned in taking apart a laptop --use 'dixie' cups (many) to keep the parts sorted! Walk away if you get frustrated! Use a work area that will be untouched by wife, kids, housekeepers, etc. Also..There are Que books from Scott Mueller that are helpful?

If you go to eBay you can order manuals for laptops- I've recently purchased them for both IBM and for Dell. The manuals come as CD roms...

Al

Comment

That is a good suggestion! I still suggest Dixie cups! I overpaid for my manual by getting it from SONY (The second most arrogant company)

(BTW I'm in DC - Was your father a Pl Surgeon? Same name--published some good stuff about scar revision.)

Comment

Originally posted by SDMMD
                        That is a good suggestion! I still suggest Dixie cups! I overpaid for my manual by getting it from SONY (The second most arrogant company)

(BTW I'm in DC - Was your father a Pl Surgeon? Same name--published some good stuff about scar revision.)

hhhm I just donate my laptop to charity after 3 years then I dont have all these repair issues// get tax break help some folks and leave dixie cups for midnight water shot glasses .LOL
                        I get the 3 year onsite warranty from IBM worth every penny..
                        But if you have to insist on playing micro laptop engineer get yourself a tiny fishing hook ,lure box cost all of about $2 and has a ton of little places to put all the stuff. Put the micro laptop tools in the and masking tap to write little notes on icky little parts like yellow wire = red wire. Then when doing the assembly its much easier or better still make a little video and do a zoom for the connectors and stuff.
                        The other thing I have is big plastic tray to set the whole deal in and this way the dining room table does not get messed up and anything that drops stays in the tray..

Comment

>>> That is a good suggestion! I still suggest Dixie cups! I overpaid for my manual by getting it from SONY (The second most arrogant company).

Yeah- on eBay the CDs go for less than $10.

>>> (BTW I'm in DC - Was your father a Pl Surgeon? Same name--published some good stuff about scar revision.)

Oh so cool! It's certainly a small world- yeah, that's him. He passed away 14 years ago.

Regards,
                          Al

Comment

>>> hhhm I just donate my laptop to charity after 3 years then I dont have all these repair issues// get tax break help some folks and leave dixie cups for midnight water shot glasses .LOL

What I do is to donate them to my kids. Sometimes, though, the laptops, as they age, get loose or have parts burn out. One Dell that I have has a loose screen connection that I will eventually fix when I get "free time". When I jiggle the screen, it starts to work again. My IBM Transnote that I use for consultations has a burned out motherboard battery which I need to find and swap (it's simple, but not easy). The laptop that I am using for my internet connections (ie I'm tapping on it now) has a loose hard disk connection- when I press firmly on the keyboard, it reconnects again.

Regards,
                            Al

Comment

Working...
                            X