New Patient Tracking Software for PDAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Patient Tracking Software for PDAs

HandyMD is a new PDA patient tracking software written specifically for medical student, intern and resident use. This program is being developed by Internal Medicine residents for quick patient data entry and recall on the wards, but is easily customizable for most medical uses. It is available in both Palm and Pocket PC formats.

It is being designed with fast entry of laboratory data in mind. We focused on entering data in the skeleton format that physicians are used to using for shorthand. Also important is fast recall of labs, lab trends, and baseline patient information.

HandyMD is under continual developement, based on medical student and resident feedback from ward usage

Please visit our website for more information at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/handyMD/

Although my experience with the program is limited, I do find it to be cumbersome and slow things down/make more inefficient than the converse. It's simply a pain in the butt to input things like patient's names, numbers, etc into a PDA. The only way I see any such platform succeeding - and I do think they will one day - is to have, as some hospitals do, a fully integrated system whereby when you walk in that AM you can walk up to any computer terminal and active sync (hotsync for you Palm people) thereby loading on all sorts of stuff like the latest labs, vital signs, and radiology reports. But as it stands right now, as a stand alone program isolated from mainframe support, I and those who I know who have tried such programs, have not found it helpful.

Comment

Brandon,

I'm not sure if you've tried out my app (HandyMD), but I've tried to address many of the issues you bring up. I had little use as a medical resident for entering in a lot of background data (HPI, meds, etc). My main focus was fast entry of lab data and quick recall. HandyMD allows entry of labs via skeleton shorthand format, which I find nearly as quick as keeping paper cards. And the benifit is, if a pt is inhouse for more than a few days, it's easier on HandyMD than cards to trend data like hct, creatine, etc. I've been working with my medical students a fellow residents to make an app that saves us time - I'm sure none of us would use it if it added any more time/inefficiency to our days.

Take a look at handyMD (free trial) and see what you think. Should be an improvement for you, at least for lab data.

-Jason

Comment

Jason, I have to agree with Brandon, data entry on handhelds is very cumbersome, especially for high turnover. Hospital systems that sync with a handheld client are the way to go, and many hospitals have started installing such types as Brandon describes.
        B
        Bigdoc

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon
          Although my experience with the program is limited, I do find it to be cumbersome and slow things down/make more inefficient than the converse. It's simply a pain in the butt to input things like patient's names, numbers, etc into a PDA. The only way I see any such platform succeeding - and I do think they will one day - is to have, as some hospitals do, a fully integrated system whereby when you walk in that AM you can walk up to any computer terminal and active sync (hotsync for you Palm people) thereby loading on all sorts of stuff like the latest labs, vital signs, and radiology reports. But as it stands right now, as a stand alone program isolated from mainframe support, I and those who I know who have tried such programs, have not found it helpful.
          Doing exactly this at our hospitals for the last 1-2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kursk
            Doing exactly this at our hospitals for the last 1-2 years.

MercuryMD are one of the providers of this type of hospital system
            Mel
            Mel
            There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
            X