Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you measure a patient's height with a laser ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you measure a patient's height with a laser ?

I am looking for ways to measure a patient's height. With cheap lasers around I figure there must be a cool way to do this.

I invision a laser mounted on the ceiling (say 8 feet high). It shoots a laser to the floor. When someone steps under it, the readout on the laser will tell you their height.

How is that for a productivity gain ?

I suspect a high school student could make one of these things for $5 in parts. Anyone want to "get rich quick and market this?". (saying this knowing someone has probably has a patent on it).

Anyone have a kid in High School electronics class ?

Does a device like this exist ?

What you save on measuring tape, you may end up spending on eye shields
    Bigdoc

Comment

I think Craftsman sells one as a fancy measuring tape. Set it up next to the patient on a permanent stand, bounce it off a mirror on the ceiling and measure to the floor. All other measurements would be subtracted from that measurement to give the patients' height.
      Last edited by Apgar; 05-01-2005, 02:00 PM. Reason: more info
      HOT

Comment

my nurse is 5 foot ZERO

Originally posted by BigDoc
        What you save on measuring tape
        My nurse can measure kids, not adults with a measuring tape.

Comment

Using a laser to measure height is interesting, but isn't it a bit of overkill?

Baybe we could lie them down and use a GPS device.

Comment

Lol

They are getting more accurate ......

well ..............

I'm still stuck with a nurse too short to measure people's heights. I am not getting one of those antiquated doctor's scales that has that ridiculous foldable metal arm that measures a patient's height.

Anyone else use an alternative ?

(on another note .. why measure a person's height ? for me the *ONLY* reason is to get a BMI number)(and b/c patient's expect it)
            I am not going to change my osteoporosis management based on a drop in height. Or at least, I've never come up with a case where a change in height prompted me to do anything.

Comment

I'm a short doc. I use a step stool as needed.

Comment

Working...
              X