For Bio and others interested in nonclinical career paths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Bio and others interested in nonclinical career paths

I just found this link today. I know it may be considered a waste of money for some, but, personally, I think I would be tempted to attend this workshop since the vacation/resort by itself may be worth the $ spent):

http://www.seak.com/semaug04nonclinicalcareers.htm

Non-Clinical Careers for Physicians
    Sea Crest Oceanfront Resort
    Falmouth, Massachusetts
    August 14-15, 2004

Thanks, I think Bio needs something like NOW
    Mel
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      Thanks, I think Bio needs something like NOW

Yes, thanks to both of you!

I want mo-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-ney - that's what I want.

I'm banking on the Mega on Friday. 280 mill. That should suffice.

who by fire.

Comment

That is an obscene amount of money, plaintiffs attorneys will fight over each and every one of your patient charts for a share of that jackpot!
        Bigdoc

Comment

Originally posted by BigDoc
          That is an obscene amount of money, plaintiffs attorneys will fight over each and every one of your patient charts for a share of that jackpot!
          Still, t'is better to have won and lost
          than never to have won at all...

Do you think I could remain anonymous? Go to pick up the check in disguise?
          who by fire.

Comment

Originally posted by bioisnonsense
            Still, t'is better to have won and lost
            than never to have won at all...
            Nah, you'd be a lot more miserable.

Comment

Poor but Honest (lawyers need not apply)

Actually, now that its over and bio is still with us, there was a study of mega bazillionaires conducted by one of the think tanks a while back. They used as one of their subjects Sheila Ryan, who was the first Fla single winner of $50M when lotto first started. She was a RE agent living in a trailer outside of Orlando when she hit. No surprise, all of a sudden she had "relative" like cockroaches coming out of the woodwork, crackpot inventors, it was always "palm" sunday when she was around to the point that her friends always expected her to pick up the lunch tab, that sort of thing.

A few years later she was interviewed and was miserable. She bought the obligatory big house, fancy cars, paid off her bills, jewelry all the trinkets we think we need. she told the think tank that she was never so unhappy in her life as when she won lotto. And reallhy it made sense. sort of like the beggar on horseback mentality. If a Donald Trump, who was born into father Fred's $40M RE empire and had the best of everything growing up hit lotto, he would handle it better 'cause he would be more used to the lifestyle than a lady living in a trailer.

another couple living in the midwest, 2 teachers as I remember engaged, eventually broke up when they won a powerball gigantic jackpot. We all say that we would be the same and just be happy that we could choose not to come into work if we wanted to but otherwise status quo.

Baloney. When the legislature first passed lotto I would dutifullyleave the office every Sat on my way to the nearest gas station vendor and compose my resignation letter to my boss in my head on the way over each time. Keep my diplomas, kep the furniture, sell what you can and give it to charity, see 'ya in the south of France. Well after a while when the rationality of impossible odds hit I stopped going nuts over a mere $6M. I still will play if the jackpot rolls over a few weeks in a row, just because.....ready? somebodys got to win, right? Great rationalization. But at least I am down to maybe $100 per year instead of the initial craziness.

OTOH.......................
              Docshrink

Comment

BTW- Sheila Ryan died of cancer a while back. The local paper did a follow-up on her and she was beaucoupbitter. i honestly don't know if that was unique to her personality type or if winning that kind of $ really does play with your head.

I would, however, be willing to submit to evidence based medicine to test the hypothesis. Please send your checks to a PO box I will set up in the near future.

All for the sake of science, of course.
                Docshrink

Comment

When relieved of financial stress we have more time to face the blackness. Having more money does not tell you WHY you are alive or WHAT you are supposed to be doing. HOW you are supposed to fill the days. And even 200 million may not allow you the power to "change the world". You can help your friends, pay your debts, buy some stuff but all in all the existential question remains. Furthermore if you are undereducated, you may not have the tools with which to create a foundation and run it towards some noble purpose, giving your life some meaning. As noted above the money affects all your relationships (which these days tend to be weaker) and can make you think everyone is dishonest. Winning shakes your faith due to its randomness.

Similar studies of Medal of Honor winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Kursk
                    Winning shakes your faith due to its randomness.

Similar studies of Medal of Honor winners.
                    Kursk, Do you think the same applies to those voted most likely to succeed, or other seats of honor?
                    Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?

Comment

Perhaps not, as such honors are more consistent with our cultural expectations. "most likely to suceed" is an honor I can accept - recognition for hard work, intelligence, good looks etc - all consistent with cultural norms. Winning the money for NO reason except a reason I may attach (prayer, need, God) is more of a stretch and actually against cultural norms (no hard work, didn't earn it), thus challenging my basic beliefs.

As for war heros (not that I am an expert), I suspect that survivors' guilt and the internal inconsistency of reward for killing other humans (violation of one of the strongest cultural norms) is enough of a conflict to mess up anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by docshrink
                        Actually, now that its over and bio is still with us
                        LOL, how do you know I didn't win?

I think I would be a lot happier. I don't need an 18 room mansion, and would not like to live in the neighbourhood of people who own mansions. But if I had a house, and a car that is not falling apart, and could live somewhere nice, with trees. Many many trees...and mountains, to go hiking...and an ocean...

I also have very clear ideas on what I would donate the money to, and what kind of work I would get involved in.

The thing is that I am very happy with a simple life but under certain circumstances. Life in a concrete city is torture to me. Trees are what life is about. Though I like desert too. Open space is the thing. As close to the great outdoors as one can get. See the stars. Hear the birds. So if I could have that - I would be happy.

I think this makes me a good candidate for a big win.

Just in case anyone is listening.
                        who by fire.

Comment

Originally posted by bioisnonsense
                          LOL, how do you know I didn't win?
                          We know you didn't win
                          MH

Comment

I agree Kursk, that winning randomly in a lottery, leaves a lot of time to face and think about the ugliness around us all. But do we then only look at the blackness and ugliness around us or would we also ,maybe just may be, look at the rainbow?

Comment

Mac1 - our internal view of the world may have little to do with money. I know people that can be happy in the most adverse conditions and others that should be happy but never are.

But then again, as the Reverend Ike used to say - "The lack of money is the root of all evil"...

Comment

Working...
                              X